Monday, August 22, 2011

Some Pics

Here are some pics that I hope everyone will enjoy.

So the first few are of my fellow trainees and I and our host families, we had a cultural roundtable where we were able to ask them questions about farming.  The one you see with me and a bunch flooded rice paddies in the background is Phnom Da, a temple built in the 11th century by the Funans, it is also about 3K from Vietnam.  Some pictures I didn't post are ones of the mountain in Kirivon that I climbed to see another ancient temple, and I took a few of my room and living situation but my house and room are really pretty simple.

On to the events of this week.  So week three was pretty basic more washing clothes by hand and bucket showers.  Rode my bike to Takeo town (provincial city) and bought some stuff, but overall pretty uneventful week.  My host family still laughs at me quite a bit because my Khmer accent seems funny to them but they can understand me most of the time.

Right now I am just kicking off week 4 and my second day of practicum.  Which means that I am in front of a class now teaching about 3 hours a day.  When they told me I would be teaching tenth grade I was a little intimidated because I was actually scared they might know more English than I did (I had to have someone explain the third conditional and modals to me).  However, it turns out the school director accidentally told some of the kids the wrong days and so I spent my Monday teaching a rag tag group of kids we had to go and pull off the street.  Cambodia right?

It went pretty well and we all had a chance to introduce ourselves and I proceeded to do an activity about the cultural differences between Cambodia and America by doing a little true or false.  I discovered that all my students believe Americans are rich, white and speak English (and Justin Bieber is the most prominent American celebrity here).  Anyway, I managed to survive the day and came home to my wonderful mosquito net and another bucket shower.

Hope everyone has been enjoying the blog so far!

1 comment:

  1. Yessss Pictures!! And side note...you said you hoped everyone was enjoying the blog...just wanted you to know that your blog was a big topic at rog and barb's anniversary party!! We all miss you!!

    ReplyDelete